donderdag, februari 24, 2005

Suits and Politics

We picked up wedding suits while we were in London. It seems very odd that 7 time zones away, a constitutional amendment is being put to popular vote that may well ban anything that looks like a marriage to people who are of the same gender.

My outlook from over here is a little more objective than it was when I lived in Kansas. From my vantage point, it looks like those who are currently in the popular majority there (and possibly all over the US) have some advantages over those who are in the minority. The majority - those who propose and pass legislation such as this constitutional amendment, obtain their strength through hating minorities more than they hate each other.
I don't suggest that we learn to hate those who are against us, but I think it would be a step in the right direction for those of us in the minority to learn to respectfully agree to disagree with each other. I didn't always believe this, but I now think there is almost always more than one way to skin a cat.

Which reminds me, we're looking for a cat to adopt. We were told by a Russian colleague of Ian's that we should use her cat fuckery.
I'm not sure, but I'm almost certain that in her English translation of the Dutch translation of her Russian thought, something was lost.