donderdag, november 01, 2007

Closer to fine.

I went back to the doctor a couple of days ago - more x-rays and blood tests. My lung is better and my blood is clean. I feel better every day.

Ten years ago this month, my dad died of lung disease. I guess it would have been hard not to have thought about him during the last month even if this wasn't going on with me, but. . .
So far as I know, I don't have anything else going on with my health other than this pneumonia. And I haven't been anywhere near so sick as my dad was toward the end - I haven't needed oxygen, for instance. Still, it has reinforced my conclusion that if I do ever end up with a chronic condition that is not going to get better, well ... Ian won't let me finish that sentence, so you'll have to fill in the blanks yourself. I will say, though, that it's a bit unnerving to watch someone you care about work themself to the bone trying to keep everything together when you're not well enough to pull your weight.


Just sayin'...

On a healthier note, I went on a journey by bus, train and bike today - nothing major, just a trip to see a fysiotherapist in Overveen, near Haarlem. It's about 2 hours, door to door. I still have back trouble, and all the lounging around watching TV I've done for the past month has not help it one little bit. Nor did grading the papers - which I'm finally done with. So today I tried something I've read about, but haven't done before. I had some physical therapy on my shoulder and back. The guy who did it was really good. Bas Willemsen. He's been trained in Active Release Techniques® - a relatively new therapy that deals with all kinds of muscle injury. The guy who came up with it lives in Colorado Srpings. Half my family lives there, so I've tried to make an appointment with him everytime I've gone back, but I've never had my emails or phone calls returned. Since I've had nothing but time on my hands, I researched providers here and found there were a couple.
It's a little painful, but I think it's going to be worth it. Especially since it's covered by my health plan. I feel pretty good today. Time will tell.
Anyway - add Overveen to the list of places to visit in The Netherlands. I would go back even if I didn't have more appointments to get my back fixed up. I forgot my camera, but I'll take it next time I go.
And now, I'm going to bed. I'm whooped.

Labels: , , , ,