zaterdag, februari 05, 2005

Wedding Registries 101

As I understand it, when people are married in Europe, their friends and family frequently ask for their bank account number so that they can transfer money into the couple's account as a wedding gift. I had never heard of this tradition, so it struck me as a little odd.

Ian, on the other hand, was amazed that in the US people who are engaged "register" at stores for items they would like to have when they are married. Because of the difficulty finding a place that everyone has access to, we registered at Amazon.com. It was only the next day that I discovered that in Ian's mind, "Wedding Registry" translated into "Wish List." He was very excited about the concept of providing links to socks, underwear, toys and virtually anything else he has thought about owning for the past several years. I finally talked him out of some of it, but there are still a disturbingly large number of DVDs and books that "we" have registered an interest in. Although he understands about the underwear and socks, he reasons that anything we are both able to read or watch qualifies.

I think of everything we've done for the wedding, registering has made me the most uncomfortable. Still, I'm reminded of that episode of "Sex in the City" when Sarah Jessica Parker's character registers as a person who is marrying herself so that she can get reimbursed for a pair of shoes she lost. (Yes, I know that makes no sense unless you've watched it. And yes, Ian has put "Sex in the City" DVDs on his our wish list wedding registry.) Natalie tells me that this is a part of getting married and everyone is used to it and does it, so I should get over myself and enjoy the benefits. So OK. I'll try.

Oh, and by the way, I prefer boxers to briefs.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anoniem said...

Apparently Amazon will not ship housewares (and many other items) to Europe via the online registry. I tried it, and got the error message as I was going through the Checkout process in the Shopping Cart.

4:13 p.m.  
Blogger Scott said...

Thanks for pointing that out. The main reason we chose Amazon was that we thought it would be accessible to everyone. We knew shipping could be more expensive, but thought they shipped everywhere.
We don't really have any perfect solutions - if anyone does, please let us know. In the meantime, if you would like to send something that Amazon doesn't ship, let us know and perhaps we can find a store here in the Netherlands that carries it.

4:57 p.m.  

Een reactie posten

<< Home