maandag, augustus 08, 2005

Bulgaria

We're leaving tomorrow for some rest on a beach in Bulgaria. I guess it's a honeymoon, although we haven't really called it that. Yesterday we thought about some of the practical ramifications of sharing a last name. When we go through customs, what do we tell border control when they ask if we're traveling together? If they notice the names and ask how we're related, are we honest?
This made us think a bit more about what happens when we visit the US. Ian reminded me that a married gay couple from Canada were refused access to the US when they tried to cross the border together. I quickly reminded Ian that I was a US citizen, so there wouldn't be a problem. For me. I saw immediately that my being a citizen wouldn't help him at all. If he was denied entry, would we have to immediately arrange a flight back to The Netherlands?
This led me to reflect on the changes I've gone through since I've been here. The longer I'm here, the more disgusted I become with the amount systemic discrimination that the citizens of the US are willing to support. When I moved here, the thought of selling my house in the US filled me with dread. I didn't want to cut that tie. Now I'm thinking that until the political climate becomes friendlier, the fewer ties (excepting personal relationships) I have to the US, the better. When I moved here, I had no idea how much of my energy in the US was wasted by being angry about the discrimination that so many of us faced on a daily basis. Now that I don't have to deal with it, I just don't feel very guilty about not wanting to encounter that discrimination any more than I absolutely have to.
In the meantime, we'll let you know when we return how we did with the Bulgarian border control.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anoniem said...

Although the Canadians were not recognized as a married couple at the US border, I think you'll find they just entered anyway. It's more of a technicality than anything else.

9:46 p.m.  

Een reactie posten

<< Home