woensdag, december 21, 2005

Week 2

This week we all but finished with the deconstruction and started with the contruction. Finally, I got to see if the technique I was going to use for the walls worked. Basically, I combined several different techniques I had read about, borrowing most heavily from some Venitian Marble descriptions, and tried it out. I'll show the step by step process if you're interested - just click on "Continue Reading".
At any rate, here's the finished product on the entrance hallway wall.


I took pictures of the process on the living room walls. Each part took about 1/2 a day - the whole thing took about a week. There are six parts that each use two basic steps.
Three colors are used on each wall, two base colors and the major top color. You start with the darkest colors and go lighter. The colors are mixed with plaster then troweled on in very thin coats. With each color, you use the 2 basic steps. The first step is to cover about 60% of the wall with the colored plaster, then let it dry.
Next, you cover the remaining 40% with the same color.

After the first color is completely dry, do the same thing with the next color - first 60%.
And here,before completeing the fill coat, I had me a beer and diverted from the master plan. I colored me in some cracks in the walls. What's a perfectly new wall without a perfectly new crack in it?
After that was dry, I finished the remaining 40% of the second color.

The same thing was done with the third color,

then the whole wall was waxed.

2 Comments:

Blogger Nam LaMore said...

i was at the marjane store (it's the wal-mart of morocco) and thought of you guys .. they actually carried dutch bulbs, and i was so tempted to buy a few few. i didn't due to the fact that: 1. i would have no place to plant them; 2. the dirt in my town is not fit to grow anything; and 3. i can't afford them on my meager government cheese stipend!

but seriously, i will get some when i have my own place .. just five short weeks to go before i can move out of the homestay situation. going on five months with them is so driving me bonkers.

and hope that you guys will make a visit to morocco .. you're always welcome here!

12:40 a.m.  
Anonymous Anoniem said...

Thanks for posting the technique. I might give it a try in the future, but in a softer/different colour. It's just my personal preference that I'm not that fond of bright yellows and they tend to put me in an argumentative mood.
Keep up the good work and Happy 2006 to you both in your new home.

6:23 p.m.  

Een reactie posten

<< Home