zaterdag, februari 11, 2006

IKEA, revisited

When I first moved here, Ian couldn't wait to get me on a tram and take me to IKEA. "You are going to LOVE it," said he.

He was wrong, wrong, wrong. I didn't love anything about it. It was too crowded, the merchandise looked cheap, and everything seemed to be lime green or some other color that I didn't like last time it was in style, either.

As I've said before, I've loved it here from the beginning. It was a good move and I don't regret it at all. Even so, over the last several years I've gone through a mysterious transformation; a kind of gradual "Europeanizing". When I first got here, I wasn't crazy about IKEA, 3 hour dinners, toilet paper that doubled as sandpaper and toilets that had cold-water-only sinks and no towels.

Now, I live for 3 hour dinners. And although I haven't entirely embraced the utilitarian spirit of the European toilet, I no longer cringe when I encounter one. (Heck, we have one ourselves, and although we try to keep it stocked with towels I frequently leave with my hands still wet.)
As for IKEA, it ranks somewhere between the the dinneers and the toilet. Sorry about that word picture. What I meant was that a lot of the merchandise in IKEA continues to look cheap to me and I'm still not crazy about lime green. But every once in awhile, I see something that is so wonderful and unexpected that it makes everything else in the store worth putting up with.

Now that we have no heat, this is one of those things:



I love these things. They were my stock Christmas present this year. I was talking to my brother about them after he opened his. He said his daughter put hers on and hopped down the stairs. It's a lawsuit waiting to happen. Still, we both agreed that although it's hard to walk in them, we liked everything about them. It got me thinking. Wouldn't it be great, I thought, to cut them in half so that you could walk in them? I was trying to think of what to call them. Then, it hit me - "slippers". They would be called slippers.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anoniem said...

Are those things heated?
I have recently seen some slipper type things that you put in the microwave and they get toasty and then you put your feet in them.
Have you seen them?

Mary

6:07 a.m.  
Anonymous Anoniem said...

A most curious foot accessory indeed. I think you're right about them being a lawsuit waiting to happen, unless there's a big warning label telling you not to hop around in it, or get up forgetting you have it on ;-)

8:57 a.m.  
Blogger Scott said...

Mary - They're not heated, but they're very warm. And I haven't seen the microwave ones yet.

Jeff - Corn? Wow. We've got a thing that has cherry pits, but I'd never thought about corn. We used a hot water bottle last night. I'd never done that. It was still warm when we woke this morning. I was amazed.
It was a little warmer today. Either that or we're just getting used to it.

9:55 p.m.  

Een reactie posten

<< Home